NSFAF FAQ for 2024/2025 Application

NSFAF FAQ for 2024/2025 Application

The NSFAF FAQ for 2024/2025 Application. We have constructively provided for our readers (NSFAF Applicants and students already on the Loan scheme) with most Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ) on NSFAF.  Find on this page all the NSFAF FAQ for 2024/2025.

New Applicants are encouraged to read on the NSFAF Application

See Also>> NSFAF Portal Login

Details of NSFAF FAQ for 2024/2025

Answer: (NSFAF FAQ)

The Fund offers the following types of Financial Assistance:

  1. Student loans: 

This financial assistance covers tuition fees, transportation, textbooks and accommodation. The loan is repayable to the Fund upon completion of study and secured employment.

  1. Scholarships:

A scholarship can be granted on full or partial basis and is non-repayable.

For a full scholarship the Fund will cover full tuition, registration fees, textbooks and living expenses.

For a partial scholarship the Fund will cover full tuition, registration fees and textbooks. Living expenses should be catered from a different source.

When do I apply for financial assistance with the Fund?

Answer: Between December and March each year.

Where can I obtain the application information should I be interested in applying?

Answer: NSFAF website (www.nsfaf.fund) as well on distributed brochures and flyers available at 14 regional offices country-wide. Mobile teams will visit different centres between December and March to assist potential applicants.

When is the closing date for submission of application forms?

Answer: 31st March each year. Applications submitted after the closing date will not be considered.

How do students apply for financial assistance?

Answer: Through an applicable application tile on NSFAF website (www.nsfaf.fund).

What documents are needed when applying for financial assistance?

Answer:  (NSFAF FAQ)

Certified copies of the following are required:

  1. Namibian citizenship
  2. Full birth certificate
  3. Namibian Identity Card (ID)
  4. Grade 12 Statement of results
  5.  ID of parents/guardians
  6. Proof of parental income. In the absence of proof of income or if unemployed, a sworn declaration must be made before a Commissioner of Oaths by parent(s) or guardian(s) themselves. This requirement is only for financial assistance purposes and has nothing to do with matter of maintenance.
  7. Proof of income for employed applicants.
  8. Proof of admission or registration from Institutions of Higher Learning / VTCs.
  9. Offer letters or notice of provisional admission for studies at foreign or SADC institutions.
  10. Mature age entry certificate. This is only applicable to students at local Institutions of Higher Learning.

What are the minimum requirements to qualify for financial assistance at local and international institutions?


Certified copies of the following are required:

  • 25 points in Grade 12 in five subjects, with an F symbol in English in Namibia.
  • 30 points in Grade 12 in five subjects, with an E symbol or better in English for study at Regional / International institution.
  • 35 points in Grade 12 in five subjects, with an E symbol or better in English for study towards Engineering and Medicine at Regional / International institution.
  • Post-Grade 12 qualification evaluated at NQF Level 5 with 20 points in Grade 12 in five subjects, with an F symbol in English.
  • 22 points in six subjects at Grade 10 level for vocational training programme.
  • Mature age entry certificate and 23 of age.

NQA accredited local and international institutions of higher learning. However, NSFAF only recognizes the following institutions of higher learning in the following countries:

Certified copies of the following are required:

  • RUSSIA: Peoples’ Friendship University, First Moscow State Medical University and Saint Petersburg Engineering Academy,
  • UKRAINE: O.O. Bogomolets National Medical University, Vinnitsa National Medical University and Kharkiv National Medical University,
  • INDIA:  JSS University and Oxford Nursing College.
  • CHINA: only for postgraduate and research students.

How do I know whether I have been awarded financial assistance or not?

Answer: Notification through SMS and email. Please ensure that you provide valid cellular phone number and email address.

When can students expect to be informed about the outcome of their applications?

Answer: Between January and August each year.

What is the selection procedure for students applying for Vocational Education and Training?

Answer: Students registered with a recognized VTC are automatically funded.

Can I qualify for financial assistance if I want to continue with my degree immediately after completing my diploma?

Answer: Yes, provided that one meets the NSFAF requirements and the programme of study is in line with the diploma that was previously funded.
No, if the programme of study is not in line with the previous qualification. In such a case, students are required to apply afresh for financial assistance for the new degree programme.

Answer: Between December and March each year.

Can I qualify for financial assistance if I want to continue with postgraduate studies immediately after completing my undergraduate degree?

Answer: Yes, provided that you meet all requirements for funding and the programme of study is in line with the undergraduate field that was previously funded.

Which are the priority fields of study for different levels of studies?

Answer: Priority Field of studies are published annually for the purpose of granting financial assistance. The list below was approved by the Minister of Higher education for 2017 and will be updated for the 2018 application.

Priority Field of Study at Undergraduate Level




  • Education:
    • Early Childhood
    • Pre-Primary
  • Science Education:
    • Mathematics
    • Physical Sciences
  • Secondary Education
  • TVET Instructor
  • Engineering:
    • Mechanical
    • Electrical
    • Electronic
    • Civil
    • Mining
  • Computing and Communications
  • Law
  • Agriculture/Fisheries including:
    • Crop and livestock
    • Marine Biology
    • Food Science and Technology
    • Agriculture/Fisheries Technologies
  • Computer Sciences and Technology
    • Software design and development
    • Hardware and Networking
    • Data Management and Cyber-Security
  • Environmental Sciences
  • Sport Sciences
    • Coaching
  • Quantity Surveying
  • Applied Sciences
    • Statistics
    • Mathematics
    • Robotics and Automation
    • Mechatronics
  • Innovation Management
  • Research Management
  • Forensics
  • Criminology
  • Architecture
  • Land Management and Surveying
  • Forestry
  • Office Administration
  • Tourism and Hospitality
  • Logistics
  • Management Science:
    • Financial Management and Accounting
  • Operational and Strategic Management
  • Governance and Leadership
  • Public Administration/Management
  • Personnel or Human Resources Management
  • Information Sciences:
    • Librarians
    • Archivist
  • Chemical Sciences
  • Hydrology and Water Management
  • Health Sciences:
    • Medicine
    • Pharmacy
    • Dentistry
    • Nursing
    • Allied Health Sciences
  • Urban and Rural Planning
  • Psychology
  • Social Work
  • Pilots

Priority Field of Study at Postgraduate Level




  • Education:
    • Early Childhood
    • Science Education, Mathematics, Physical Sciences
    • Secondary Education
  • Engineering:
    • Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic
    • Civil and Structural
    • Mining
    • Computing and Communications
  • Law
  • Valuation
  • Agriculture
    • Veterinary Sciences
    • Food Science and Technology
  • Computer Sciences and Technology
    • Satellite Science and Technology
    • Software Design and Development
    • Data Management and Cyber-Security
  • Environmental Sciences
  • Sport Sciences
    • Coaching
    • Physical Education
  • Actuarial Sciences
  • Forestry
  • Forensic Phycology
  • Land Management and Surveying
  • Office Administration
  • Health Sciences
    • Paediatric Surgery
    • Pathology
  • Management Sciences
    • Chartered Financial Accounting
    • Operational and Strategic Management
    • Governance and Leadership
  • Public Administration/Management
  • Personnel or Human Resources Management
  • Indigenous Knowledge
  • Chemical Sciences
  • Tourism and Hospitality
  • Health Sciences
    • Pharmacy
    • Nursing
    • Allied Health Science
  • Urban and Rural Planning
  • Forensics
  • Psychology
  • Social Work
  • Hydrology and Water Management
  • Disaster Management
  • Climate Research

Priority Field of Study at Vocational Education and Training



Diesel/Petrol MechanicsWelding and Coded Welding
ElectricianGeneral Construction (Bricklaying/Plastering)
Crane, Hoist and Lift OperatorForklift Driving
Heavy Plant OperatorCarpentry/Joinery
Hospitality and Culinary ArtsBoiler Maker
Travel and Tourism (Hospitality)Painters
Spray PaintingFitter and Turner
Mine SurveyingFood Production
LogisticsConstruction Carpentry
IT SecurityRoad and Transport
Manufacturing: Joinery and Cabinet MakingConstruction Management
Boil MakerSport Management
Metal FabricationEnvironmental Education and Protection
Verti-Culture (Making wine)Plumbing Technology
AgricultureIndustrial Engineering
Clothing ProductionComputer Aided Design
Art and DesignComputer Maintenance
Game Technology
Electrical Construction (light/current/heave current)
Wood Technology and Wood Production


Three-Dimension Design
Welding Engineering
Water Engineering

When does NSFAF effect payments at institutions of higher learning?

Answer: On submission of proof of registration, a certified copy of the previous year’s academic records and receipt of a valid invoice from the institution of high learning.

Will the fund pay for my studies if I have failed an academic year? (NSFAF FAQ)

Answer: No, the fund does not pay for repetition, but will re-activate the funding once one has progressed and submitted proof to that effect.

Will I be able to change the course or the institution of higher learning after I have submitted the proof of registration? (NSFAF FAQ)

Answer: Yes, provided that your application for change is approved.

What happens in a case where my academic cost is higher than the amount awarded—will the Fund cover the difference? (NSFAF FAQ)

Answer: No, NSFAF will only cover the amount as per approved rates and as indicated on the award letter. Students should find other means to cover the shortfall.

If I have a loan/grant or I’m on a NSFAF scholarship, studying abroad, and my course requires me to do an internship back at home, will the Fund cover my travelling expenses?

Answer: A return flight ticket may be issued, provided that such internship is an integral part of the curriculum leading to graduation.

Do beneficiaries have to pay the money back after completing their studies?

Answer: All loans are repayable upon completion and gainfully employed.

When must I start repaying my student loan?

Answer: Within six months of completing studies and secure employment. If a student cannot find employment, he/she may postpone repayment by notifying NSFAF in writing.

How long does it take to repay?

Answer: Since salaries differ, the amount of the regular deductions will also differ; obviously, the larger the payments, the sooner the loan will be repaid.

How long does it take to repay?


The Fund’s Head Office is located at the United Africa Group building in Gutenberg Platz, P.O. Box 23053, Windhoek, Tel: + 264 61 420 681/4, Fax: +264 61 233940, Email address: studentsrelations@nsfaf.na (see above table for regional officers contact details)

1. Do students have to pay the money back after completing their studies?

Yes, if it was a loan. For the Income Contingent Loan, the repayments start when the individual is employed. By paying back your NSFAF study loan, you are paying it so that the Fund will be able to assist someone else who needs it just as much as you did.

2. When am I expected to repay my student loan?

  • The time required to start repaying is within six months of completing studies. If a student cannot find employment, it is possible to postpone repayment; in such a case, the request for postponement of repayment must be made to the Board of NSFAF in writing.
  • Immediately once the beneficiary has secured employment and earning a taxable amount
  • When the student has not completed their studies and thus committed breach of contract

3. What is the process of paying back a loan?

The student must consult with NSFAF and provide the Fund with the following information:

  • Complete contact details, indicating postal and residential addresses including actual and permanent residence;
  • Details of his/her employer and employment status;
  • Student’s consent to the Loan/Grant agreement for loan deductions after the completion or cancellation of studies;
  • Any change in contact details, employment status and details of his/her employer.
  • Also Refer to NSFAF Student Loans Repayment Guide

4. How often do you send Loan statement?

Statements are send via emails once each month.

5. What are the modes of repayment?

Direct Bank Deposits
Salary Deductions
Electronic Funds Transfer
Debit Orders


  • Account Name: NSFAF
  • Account number: 800 484 589 4
  • Branch Code: 482 172
  • Bank Name: Bank Windhoek

6. How do I pay my loan from abroad?

If the beneficiary resides abroad, he/she can pay by Electronic Funds Transfer into NSFAF Recovery Account and email proof of payments to the respective consultant dealing with his or her account.

7. What happens if I default?

The loan is charged a compounded interest. Therefore when one defaults they suffer a compound interest charged on the account.

8. Can you clear in one instalment?

Yes, One can make the loan settlement at an instalment procedure

9. Does NSFAF charge ledger fees?

There are no ledger fees charged on all NSFAF student loans.

10. What happens when I clear my loan?

You will be issued with a Redeemed Letter/certificate of clearance.

11. What happens if I overpay?

NSFAF shall refund the overpayment.

12. What if I die before clearing my loan?

NSFAF can waive the loan upon request from your next of kin. The request should be in writing and substantiated with a certified copy of the death certificate.

13. What happens if I change employers?

If the beneficiary was paying through employer’s deduction, a new arrangement can be made with the new employer for the salary deduction to continue. If the beneficiary was paying through other methods like direct deposit, debit orders and EFT the payment shall continue until the loan is redeemed.

14. Loans are not recoverable after six years. Is it applicable in your case?

Loans are recoverable as long as the debtor did not raise a case of prescription. The Prescription Act states 15 years in respect of any debt owed to the state and arising out of an advance or loan of money from the date the loan become payable. Any other loan of money prescribes after 3 years.

15. How do you determine the monthly deduction rate?

There is currently no enforcement policy for a minimum monthly deduction. However, we encourage the debtor to pay an amount covering a portion of the loan capital and interest charged per month. For example if the interest charged on an account is NAD 250, we will encourage the person to pay a minimum of NAD 500 towards loan recovery.

16. Does my employer need authority from me to make loan deductions?

Yes, your employer can only do deductions with the consent of the employee.

17. My employer stopped deductions from my pay what do I do in this case?

Loan repayment is your responsibility. Please keep track of your repayment until completion.

18. When am I eligible to apply for suspensions of loan repayment?

  • When the debtor’s annual earnings fall below a taxable income threshold.
  • When the debtor becomes unemployed.
  • When the debtor becomes incapacitated due to medical conditions.
  • When the debtor dies.
  • When debtor goes for further studies without an income.

REMEMBER: It is your legal responsibility to keep in touch with NSFAF and to inform us of any change of address.

For more information, contact us:

NSFAF Head Office
Werner List Street, Gutenberg Platz
P.O. Box 23053, WINDHOEK

+264 61 420 651/658
+264 61 233940
Email address: studentsrelations@nsfaf.na

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *